The Margherita, THE CLASSIC pizza?!
As legend has it, on June 11, 1889, to honour the Queen consort of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, the Neapolitan pizza maker Raffaele Esposito created the “Pizza Margherita”. Made with marinara sauce, mozzarella, and basil, it represents the Flag of Italy. Simple but super tasty!
This recipe uses Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana recipe which can be found here.
- Make a batch of tomato sauce – try our recipe here.
- Stretch the pizza dough over plenty of semolina and drizzle with a little olive oil
- Cover the pizza with marinara sauce. Add a generous amount of mozzarella.
- Pour a little basil oil over the top of the pizza.
- Bake in your pizza oven at 500 degrees C for around 90 seconds, turning frequently.
- Serve with ripped basil leaves.
This pizza was baked using the Alfa Forni 5 Minuti. For more information and prices, click here.
- Marinara sauce
- Basil oil
- Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana recipe